I have removed also AdBlock Plus some days ago (the last remaining add-
on) and this seems to have solved the problem. Now it seems that
Chromium is not blowing up any more.

But I still like to get able to return to ad-reduced browsing again.

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  Severe memory leak: 13 GB RAM in 3-4 hours

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  I am on Bionic with a new Lenovo X1 Yoga (2nd gen., current model)
  with 16 GB RAM.

  For some weeks now chromium-browser has a severe memory leak. It fills
  up 13 GB of the 16 GB RAM in 3-4 hours, independent how frequently I
  use the browser in this time.

  I use many tabs (~20-30) and as add-ons I use Adblock Plus, Ulmon
  CityMaps2Go, and Google Dictionary. Next time Chromium blows up I will
  remove one of them to find out if an add-on is the culprit.

  When Chromium fills up the memory sometimes the computer gets simply
  slow, sometimes the rendering engine goes away (all tabs are simply
  solid grey instead of shown their web page), and/or there are pop-up
  windows about add-ons having crashed.

  To get rid of the blown-up Chromium I run "top" in a terminal window,
  sort by memory occupation (Shift + M) and kill the process making the
  first place in the list (K, then 2 times Enter). This blown-up process
  is always the master process of Chromium, not one of the tabs, as
  killing this process pulls down Chromium completely (and frees the
  RAM).

  "About Chromium" shows:

  Version 64.0.3282.167 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on
  Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit)

  till@till-x1yoga:~$ dpkg -l | grep chrom
  ii  chromium-browser                              64.0.3282.167-0ubuntu1
              amd64        Chromium web browser, open-source version of Chrome
  ii  chromium-browser-l10n                         64.0.3282.167-0ubuntu1
              all          chromium-browser language packages
  ii  chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra                  64.0.3282.167-0ubuntu1
              amd64        Extra ffmpeg codecs for the Chromium Browser
  ii  libchromaprint1:amd64                         1.4.3-1
              amd64        audio fingerprint library
  till@till-x1yoga:~$