** Also affects: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu Bionic)

** Tags removed: rls-bb-incoming

  Language installation doesn't work in Ubuntu GNOME 16.10 Settings app

Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-control-center source package in Bionic:

  What happens
  ============
  1. From a terminal in Ubuntu GNOME, enter
   gnome-control-center region

  My locale is set to en_US so my terminal emits
  common-cc-panel-WARNING **: Language en_US.UTF-8 not installed, trying to
install it

  2. Click Language.
  3. Click the 3-dot "more" button at the bottom of the popup.
  4. Select French (France). Click Done.

  My terminal emits:
  common-cc-panel-WARNING **: Language fr_FR not installed, trying to install it

  French isn't actually installed.

  What should happen
  ==================
  PackageKit should install French. Language in the main window should change
from English (United States) to French (France). Unfortunately because of how
the system works, it would still require a log out and log in for the change to
actually take effect.

  Other Info
  ===========
  Installation of audio/video codes appears to work just fine:

  1. Uninstall the extra codecs (assuming you clicked the box in the installer
to install third-party softwarel)
  sudo apt uninstall ubuntu-restricted-addons
  sudo apt autoremove

  Download this file
  https://archive.org/download/buckminsterfullereverythingiknow01/01001.rm

  It opens in Totem and session-installer prompts to install
  gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly. Installation completed successfully and I
  was able to play the file.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.20.1-2ubuntu3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-19.21-generic 4.8.0-rc8
  Uname: Linux 4.8.0-19-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Sun Oct  9 09:52:01 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-GNOME 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Alpha amd64 (20161007)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>