Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. The issue you are reporting is an upstream one and it
would be nice if somebody having it could send the bug to the developers
of the software by following the instructions at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Upstream/GNOME. If you have done so, please
tell us the number of the upstream bug (or the link), so we can add a
bugwatch that will inform us about its status. Thanks in advance.

** Changed in: file-roller (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to file-roller in Ubuntu.

  Renaming file in password protected archive results in file being
  deleted from the archive

Status in file-roller package in Ubuntu:

  I have encountered a problem when using Archive Manager (file-roller) version
3.16.5 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (currently updated).
  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      16.04
  $ apt-cache policy file-roller
  file-roller:
    Installed: 3.16.5-0ubuntu1.2
    Candidate: 3.16.5-0ubuntu1.2
    Version table:
   *** 3.16.5-0ubuntu1.2 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64
Packages
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       3.16.4-1ubuntu3 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages

  To demonstrate this problem:

    1) Download the attached file "Archive rename problem.zip". This archive
contains the two files "Hello there.txt" and "Hello there.log". The archive
password is "Hello there" (without the quotes).
    2) Inspection of the contents of the two files indicates the files were
mistakenly named. The .txt file should be .log and the .log file should be .txt.
    3) Close and re-open the archive. This step is required so the password is
required in the next step.
    4) Rename file "Hello there.txt" to "Hello there2.log". When you click the
"Rename" button, you will be immediately prompted for the archive password.
Enter the password and click the "OK" button. At this point the file "Hello
there.txt" has been deleted from the archive and only file "Hello there.log"
remains in the archive. Menu item File > Test Integrity shows no problems with
the archive.

  My expectation is that the rename of a file in an archive should never result
in the deletion of that file from the archive. The rename operation should
either rename the file or fail to rename the file preserving the original file
name.

  I believe this problem is important because files that are put into a
  password protected archive are put there for a reason (for example,
  financial information). The unexpected deletion of these files is most
  likely important to the file owner.

  Please note:

    1) This problem does not occur if the identical files are placed into an
archive which is not password protected.
    2) This problem does not occur if the archive password is entered previous
to the rename operation. For example, if the files are first opened to inspect
their contents.
    3) This problem does not occur if the two files have different names
excluding the file name extensions .txt and .log.