    Name "org.gnome.Mutter.DisplayConfig" does not exist

  Xorg session exits on login if nvidia modeset=1

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:

  This may relate to this item in the changelog for this version of
  gdm3:

    * Drop 95_hide_x11_sessions_with_nvidia_kdms.patch:
      - No longer needed with nvidia-384

  I noticed before this version that indeed, if I enabled modeset on
  nvidia-387 (which actually worked), I only saw the Wayland sessions in
  gdm, not the Xorg ones. I actually want Xorg sessions right now (For
  Reasons I Could Bore You With), but I thought I'd try enabling modeset
  again when I saw this.

  Instead what happens is, I see and can choose the Xorg sessions, but
  when I try to log in using GNOME on Xorg, it just returns back to the
  gdm login screen, after a pause of a few seconds.

  There's no obvious signs of an actual crash, in syslog or in
  /var/crash. I spot this though, during each attempted X session
  startup:

  Oct 11 12:39:07 fleetfoot gsd-xsettings[2515]: Failed to get current
  display configuration state:
  GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name
  "org.gnome.Mutter.DisplayConfig" does not exist

  and

  Oct 11 12:39:21 fleetfoot gnome-shell[2816]: Failed to apply DRM plane
transform 0: Invalid argument
  Oct 11 12:39:21 fleetfoot gnome-shell[2816]: Failed to apply DRM plane
transform 0: Invalid argument
  Oct 11 12:39:21 fleetfoot org.gnome.Shell.desktop[2816]: Disabling glamor and
dri3, EGL setup failed
  Oct 11 12:39:21 fleetfoot org.gnome.Shell.desktop[2816]: Failed to initialize
glamor, falling back to sw

  Wayland session appears to be working fine FWIW, with nvidia-387. But
  previously I did have a couple of random-seeming system hangs using
  it, which is one of the boring reasons I'm still preferring Xorg on
  nvidia.

  Package: gdm3 3.26.1-3ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME