@109 this is already known to be the wrong behavior. It was introduced long ago
by the hopelessly stupid Nautilus people, and patched by Ubuntu to reestablish
the old sensible behavior, but something must have gone wrong in the latest
release and so the idiocy has resurfaced.
What I don't understand is how it can be taking so long to fix again.

Oh I see why: most of us cannot change back the status of the bug once
it has been changed to "fix released" (which is stupid, too).

  restore type-ahead find

Status in Nautilus:
  Expired
Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in ubuntu-settings package in Ubuntu:

  GNOME removed type-ahead find in Nautilus 3.6, not without
  controversy:

  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-
  list/2012-August/msg00002.html

  Now when you type in a Nautilus window, Nautilus immediately performs
  a search in the current directory and all its subdirectories.  I
  personally find this annoying.  If I want to search, I'll click the
  search icon.  Often I'm looking at a long directory listing and simply
  want to jump to a certain point in it, and type-ahead find works great
  for that.

  Would Ubuntu consider patching type-ahead find back in?