Thanks, I've applied the workaround. My /var/crash is currently empty,
I'll follow your advice when the crash occurs again.

  gnome-shell crashes occasionally (libmutter)

  I see occasional crashes of gnome-shell that get me back to the login

  After these crashes I find something like the following line in dmesg:

  gnome-shell[8428]: segfault at b0 ip 00007fddec8387d1 sp
  00007ffdf2061a80 error 4 in[7fddec763000+142000]

  Ubuntu: 17.10
  gnome-shell: 3.26.2-0ubuntu0.1
  mutter: 3.26.2-0ubuntu0.1