Problem occurs 100% of the time on two Mint Cinnamon 64 bit machines
after the latest round of updates when shutting down or restarting from
whisker menu. 'shutdown (-r) now' works without an error.

The most commonly reported 'fix' for this problem is purging old
kernels. I just reinstalled 18.3 Cinnamon 64 from scratch on one and
then installed all the updates. There were only 2 kernels. I removed
4.10 4.13.0-36 is the only one installed.  It did not fix the problem. I
did not have the problem before the last round of updates.

Also on another computer with 18.2 which has not been turned on for a while I
never had the problem until I just installed updates. It is using 4.10.0-33
kernel., 4.10.0-33, and 4.13.0-36 are installed.

I had no problem with on two 18.3 XFCE 64 bit machines. One I last
used/updated Sunday 3/4 or another I just updated (including latest
kernel) as of 3/8/18 0245Z.

All computers are set for autologin. I tried turning autologin off on
one Cinnamon but that had no effect.

It appears there is something in the recent updates for Cinnamon that is
causing this problem.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-keyring in Ubuntu.

  GNOME Keyring Daemon stops panel's shutdown

Status in gnome-keyring package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: gnome-keyring

  Almost every time I click "Shut Down" from the panel's menu for it, I get an
error that says: "GNOME-Keyring-Daemon is not responding." Then I can choose
"Shut Down anyway" and the computer usually turns off after that, but sometimes
I need to use a sudo shutdown command.
  Also, sometimes when I select "Shut Down" from the panel, nothing happens at
all. Again, I need to use a sudo shutdown command to turn off the computer.
  This happens for all of the users on this computer (a Thinkpad laptop).
  This issue is particularly annoying for non-administrator users, because if
selecting "Shut Down" from the panel doesn't work they cannot issue a sudo
shutdown command - which means I need to assist them in changing to a tty
terminal, logging in as me, and then giving the sudo shutdown command.

  Package: gnome-keyring
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-24.38-generic