This is a really old bug and the versions of Ubuntu it references are
out of support now. Can you verify whether this is still a problem on
Xenial (16.04) or Artful (17.10) and reset the bug to "confirmed" if you
can recreate the issue.

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  gvfsd-metadata process pegs CPU while nautilus waits

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: nautilus

  I have been getting delays of 30-60 seconds when nautilus copies data
  on an NTFS filesystem in a 1.5 TB My Book external USB disk from
  Western Digital. I was able to see the process that has 100% of the
  CPU and causes spinners in my Nautilus Windows until it finishes. It
  is gvfsd-metadata, for which I have no man page.

  Today, I closed an earlier bug thinking that the problem had resolved
  itself as I had nominal functionality with nautilus then. I noticed
  that the problem returned and looked at running processes with top (1)
  to see what process appeared and what it was using when it ran.

  I don't know what gvfsd-metadata does or how important it is, but it
  seems to be the hog process. As soon as it exits I get the FM back. It
  appears whenever I move (drag) files from one dir to another. Another
  bug where I had long delays moving a 1.0 GB dir from the boot drive to
  this external drive, may be the same problem.

  Package: nautilus 1:2.32.0-0ubuntu1.3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-25.44-generic 2.6.35.10
  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic i686
  Architecture: i386