Public bug reported:

On March 5, after months of working regularly, Scilab 5.5.2 stopped
working altogether if launched from GUI.

Trying to launch from terminal, it still did not work but at least
informed me that it could not create a Java Main Class, and some more
details:

        at org.scilab.modules.gui.utils.ConfigManager.checkVersion(Unknown
Source)
        at org.scilab.modules.gui.utils.ConfigManager.createUserCopy(Unknown
Source)
        at org.scilab.modules.core.Scilab.<init>(Unknown Source)

Packages:
   OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
   Scilab;  5.5.0-2
   libjogl2-ini;  2.1.5-1ubuntu3
   libjogl1-java;  2.1.5-1ubuntu3

Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS Release: 14.04

A related bug is: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mesa/+bug/1742894, which
has been resolved for Ubuntu Xenial with a new version of libjogl2-java.
No such fix seems to be available for Trusty, however.

** Affects: mesa (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Scilab 5.5.2 cannot create Java Main Class on Ubuntu 14.04.

Status in mesa package in Ubuntu: