This happens to me too (still) : both VGA and DVI-D (cannot test HDMI).
This happens at both log-in and log-out.

Date: Sat Mar 10 2018

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Temporary black screen after login

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  I turn on my laptop, wait lightdm appears, and do login to my user.
  Sometimes i got a black screen, only cursor appears in the screen. I
  can open a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+t, and run firefox using terminal,
  for example. And it is possible to change tty. Then, after 30 seconds,
  or more, like 1 minute, my desktop appears (background, unity
  launcher, top panel...).

  I'm having this problem in my asus laptop, that have nvidia optimus
  (and can confirm with other, a sony laptop with only intel graphics

  Package: lightdm 1.8.4-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.11.0-17.31-generic
  Uname: Linux 3.11.0-17-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.2
  Architecture: amd64