Thanks for taking your time to report this issue and help making Ubuntu
better.

I can confirm this issue, eclipse 3.8.1-11 fails to start when I attempt
to run it on Ubuntu bionic. Based on the error message, I found a
corresponding bug report in Debian, so I have attached a bug watch.

Btw, when reporting bugs in the future please use apport by using
'ubuntu-bug' and the name of the package affected. This adds version
numbers and additional information automatically, making it easier to
process bug reports. You can learn more about this functionality at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReportingBugs.

** Bug watch added: Debian Bug tracker #891956

** Also affects: eclipse (Debian) via

** Changed in: eclipse (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: bionic

Packages, which is subscribed to eclipse in Ubuntu.

  Eclipse fails to start on fresh 18.04 installation

Status in eclipse package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in eclipse package in Debian:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  I just installed 18.04 from today's March 10th desktop ISO in a VM
  with all default settings. I proceeded to install Eclipse and build
  tools with:

      sudo apt-get install eclipse git build-essential

  I then ran `eclipse` in a terminal from my home directory (launcher
  icon behaves same way). I expected Eclipse to open, but instead I got
  a popup saying:

      An error has occurred.  See the log file

/home/vidar/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.8_155965261/configuration/1520710304064.log

  Meanwhile, the following messages are printed on stderr:

      OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=256m;
support was removed in 8.0
      Gtk-Message: 11:31:25.572: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
      Gtk-Message: 11:31:25.619: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

  The file it mentions contains:

      !SESSION Sat Mar 10 11:31:44 PST 2018
      !ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.launcher 4 0 2018-03-10 11:31:44.078
      !MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
      !STACK
      java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:626)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1414)

  `eclipse`, `eclipse-jdt` and `eclipse-platform` are all version
  3.8.1-11. There are no pending updates after an `apt-get update &&
  apt-get upgrade`. Installing libcanberra-gtk-module got rid of those
  warnings, but the popup and error message remain.