Thanks for taking your time to report this issue and help making Ubuntu

I can confirm this issue, eclipse 3.8.1-11 fails to start when I attempt
to run it on Ubuntu bionic. Based on the error message, I found a
corresponding bug report in Debian, so I have attached a bug watch.

Btw, when reporting bugs in the future please use apport by using
'ubuntu-bug' and the name of the package affected. This adds version
numbers and additional information automatically, making it easier to
process bug reports. You can learn more about this functionality at

** Bug watch added: Debian Bug tracker #891956

** Also affects: eclipse (Debian) via

** Changed in: eclipse (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: bionic

Packages, which is subscribed to eclipse in Ubuntu.

  Eclipse fails to start on fresh 18.04 installation

Status in eclipse package in Ubuntu:
Status in eclipse package in Debian:

Bug description:
  I just installed 18.04 from today's March 10th desktop ISO in a VM
  with all default settings. I proceeded to install Eclipse and build
  tools with:

      sudo apt-get install eclipse git build-essential

  I then ran `eclipse` in a terminal from my home directory (launcher
  icon behaves same way). I expected Eclipse to open, but instead I got
  a popup saying:

      An error has occurred.  See the log file

  Meanwhile, the following messages are printed on stderr:

      OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=256m;
support was removed in 8.0
      Gtk-Message: 11:31:25.572: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
      Gtk-Message: 11:31:25.619: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

  The file it mentions contains:

      !SESSION Sat Mar 10 11:31:44 PST 2018
      !ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.launcher 4 0 2018-03-10 11:31:44.078
      !MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(

  `eclipse`, `eclipse-jdt` and `eclipse-platform` are all version
  3.8.1-11. There are no pending updates after an `apt-get update &&
  apt-get upgrade`. Installing libcanberra-gtk-module got rid of those
  warnings, but the popup and error message remain.