After some further investigation, I learned, that there are two APIs for this.
1. VA-API: for Intel with the tool: vainfo
2. VDPAU-API: for others with the tool: vdpauinfo

and there is the libvdpau-va-gl which translates VDPAU-API to VA-API.
Setting VDPAU_DRIVER uses this library and this library uses
"i965_drv_video.so" as VA-API backend.
According to the README.Debian of "i965-va-driver" it should be able to
hw-accelerate MPEG-2

Codecs:
------

H.264   D   ILK+
H.264   E   SNB+
MPEG-2  D   CTG+
VC-1    D   SNB+

Seems that this is not working as expected.
The "vainfo" uses "i965_drv_video.so", too. And it notes that MPEG2 is
supported:
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD

Unfortunately this means, that we are in the wrong package for this
"Bug" (I assume Intel changed something in driver).