Hans, we can certainly disagree.  But it seems you as well as some of
the upstream devs do not understand much about packaging.  If you want
timely fixes, pay someone to do it.  If you want to make a mess of your
system, install random packages.  I'm fine with any of that.  I'm not
fine if then such person comes back and waste Ubuntu devs time with a
problem they did not create or gives Ubuntu a bad name that they did not
deserve in this case.  I hope that makes sense.

BTW, scanner support is the responsibility of the manufacturer, don't
you think?  Have you complained to them about lack of FOSS support?
Have you taken this into consideration when you purchased your scanner?
Or have you simply purchased whatever was cheapest?  IMO, what is not
acceptable is buying cheap, unsupported stuff and then complaining to
people doing a LOT of work for you for free.  Last comment, if you feel
that all of this is so unacceptable then have you rolled up your sleeve
and provided a patch or at least tried to?

** Changed in: sane-backends (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  "Invalid argument" when trying to scan

Status in gscan2pdf package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using a Fujitsu M3091DCd scanner with SANE. From the command line
  it works more or less well with Ubuntu.

  I can't use it with gscan2pdf v0.9.31, but gscan2pdf works with
  another scanner.

  All I get is a meaningless "Invalid argument" when I hit the scan
  button.

  When I start gscan2pdf from the command line I see these lines
  appearing when I hit the scan button:

  Error running process: Died at (eval 39) line 7.

    $device->start;
    $shash{$sane_thread}{status} = $Sane::STATUS+0;
    if ($Sane::STATUS != SANE_STATUS_GOOD) {
     print "$prog_name: sane_start: $Sane::STATUS\n" if $debug;
     $shash{$sane_thread}{go} = 0;
     die; # quickest way out of the eval block
    }

    my $path = $shash{$sane_thread}{data};
    if (not open($fh, ">", $path)) {
     $device->cancel;
     $shash{$sane_thread}{status} = SANE_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED;
     $shash{$sane_thread}{go} = 0;
     die; # quickest way out of the eval block
    }
    scan_page($device, $fh);
    $shash{$sane_thread}{status} = $Sane::STATUS+0;
    close $fh;
    printf "Scanned page %s.", $path if $debug;
    printf " (scanner status = %d)\n", $Sane::STATUS if $debug;
    $shash{$sane_thread}{status} = $Sane::STATUS+0;
    $shash{$sane_thread}{go} = 0;

  Package: gscan2pdf 0.9.31-2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-11.48-generic 2.6.38.8
  Uname: Linux 2.6.38-11-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Thu Sep  8 09:44:25 2011
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=
   PATH=(custom, no username)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gscan2pdf
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to natty on 2011-06-01 (98 days ago)