Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) reached end-of-life on April 18th, 2009.

See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:

We appreciate that this bug may be old and you might not be interested
in discussing it any more. But if you are then please upgrade to the
latest Ubuntu version and re-test. If you then find the bug is still
present in the newer Ubuntu version, please add a comment here telling
us which new version it is in and change the bug status to Confirmed.

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  nautilus crashed with SIGSEGV in pthread_mutex_lock()

Status in Nautilus:
Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: nautilus

  I have a directory containing two symlinks, each pointing at the other
(created to test a script i'm working on). Nautilus crashes when opening this
  After some experimenting it seems nautilus crashes whenever trying to open a
directory containing a number of symlinks forming a symlink loop, but only if
all the symlinks in the loop are in the same directory. I would have expected
nautilus to be able to detect the loop and display the links as broken (as it
does when some symlinks in the loop are located in a different directory.

  To repeat:
  $ mkdir test
  $ cd test
  $ ln -s s2 s1