I managed to get rid of the crash by unpacking the snap, deleting the
following files, and repacking it:

  usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-3.0/modules/libunity-gtk-module.so
  usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libunity-gtk3-parser.so.0*

This results in a harmless warning on the console at startup:

  Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "unity-gtk-module"

These are pulled in by the gtk3 desktop helper.

  [snap] Math segfaults at startup on Ubuntu 16.04

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  (initially reported on the forum: https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/call-
  for-testing-libreoffice-6-0-2/4185/6)

  After installing libreoffice 6.0.1.1 (stable) or 6.0.2.1 (candidate)
  in a clean and up-to-date virtual machine running Ubuntu 16.04,
  libreoffice.math reliably crashes at startup. Other applications in
  the suite don't appear to be affected.

  I'm attaching the terminal output, which exhibits GLib-GIO:ERROR and a
  symbolic stack trace.