I also do not know about the code, but I tested ubuntu mate 18.04 and
ibus.  Here a similar menu appears, but there is no delay when typing
and changing input method.  Maybe it could be a hint to fix the bug.

  input method on-screen animation prevents typing

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  In ubuntu 18.04 I installed different keyboard languages: spanish
  latin american, japanese, japanese-ibus.  To change the input method
  you press the selected key, and an indicator menu appears on-screen to
  indicate which language is selected next.  The menu disapears after
  2~3 seconds and during which time typing is blocked.  If you type
  while the language input method menu is displayed, the menu will not
  disapear and stay as long as you type.

  The language input menu should not block typing, and the disapearance
  of the menu should not be delayed by typing.