Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu
better. We are sorry that we do not always have the capacity to look at all
reported bugs in a timely manner. There have been many changes in Ubuntu since
that time you reported the bug and your problem may have been fixed with some
of the updates. It would help us a lot if you could test it on a currently
supported Ubuntu version. When you test it and it is still an issue, kindly
upload the updated logs by running only once:
apport-collect 876443

and any other logs that are relevant for this particular issue.

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  Nautilus file explorer issue when no external monitor is present post
  11.10 upgrade

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  After upgrading from 11.4 to 11.10, whenever I boot without my
  external monitor plugged in, it gives me an error about not being able
  to load the display config - I had this error on 11.4 so it is fine
  and expected.....however........upon giving the error in 11.10,
  Nautilus File Explorer seems to switch to a different old / safe mode
  - desktop icons are white and blank and the file explorer is the older
  non-ubuntu grey and basic looking. I can rectify it by doing "killall
  Nautilus" and then opening "Files" again, everything is restored as it
  should be. When I reboot with my external monitor selected everything
  is fine, so it seems to be this display config error that is causing
  nautilus to switch to a different mode.

  Is there something needs adjusted in the order that nautilus / X11 is
  loaded ?