Jeremy, Daniel,

Thanks for your replies. As per Daniel's suggestion, I've run apport, &
have updated the bug title and description.

I'll also lodge a bug report upstream as Jeremy suggests, and report
back with a bug number.

Jeremy, you've suggested that there are potentially multiple bugs here -
I'm not sure I agree with this. I hope that by amending the bug
description that I've summed up the over-arching issue, and that filing
a bug report for each instance of the issue wouldn't be necessary.
Please let me know your thoughts on this.

With this in mind, I disagree with Daniel's assertion that the main
issue in this bug report has already been fixed.

  Using Gnome Settings' search tool works for some but not all items
  located under top-level menu categories

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  (As seen in the latest daily build of 32bit Ubuntu Budgie)

  See attached screenshot. Searching within settings is currently not as
  useful / intuitive as it could be, as it finds results for some items
  located within the top-level menu entries / categories, but not all

  Being able to find all menu sub-items from the search tool without having to
pore through individual menus is the ideal outcome, and is my intention in
raising this bug report - the individual examples below are merely instances of
this broader pattern. Please note that these examples seem to be changing
rapidly, as overnight updates have made some search terms return valid results
when only a few days ago they didn't.
  Examples of search terms that don't work / work fully:
  - cursor (no items found; should return "Universal Access")
  - high (ditto)
  - sound (only returns the "sound" menu; should also return "Universal Access"
  - sharing (brings up some valid results, but not "Notifications" which
includes the item "desktop sharing".
  - desktop (ditto)

  Examples of search terms which do work properly:
  - contrast
  - screen
  - size

  ApportVersion: 2.20.8-0ubuntu10
  Architecture: i386
  CurrentDesktop: Budgie:GNOME
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Budgie 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha i386
  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.26.2-0ubuntu5
  PackageArchitecture: i386
  Tags:  bionic
  Uname: Linux 4.15.0-10-generic i686
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True