This was incorrectly marked as fixed in comment #2 (appimage and ubuntu
packages are two different things).

Now marking as a duplicate of bug #1754400, which has more up-to-date
information.

   "General input/output error" when attempting to save a document to google
drive

  General Input/Output error with Google Drive

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:

  This is a problem with Libreoffice Writer, but for some reason it
  didn't allow me to set that as package (libreoffice-writer)

  When adding a Google Drive service, before it can show the remote files it
fails, I get the message "General Input/Output error with Google Drive".
  The authentication  trough though, because I get an email from Google letting
me know there was  sign-in from a new device.
  Weirdly,the flatpack from Libre Office is being able to connect correctly.

  Using Ubuntu 17.04, Libreoffice 1:5.3.1