So, I have just tested this on the latest Fedora Rawhide and experienced
the same issue as on Ubuntu 18.04 so it looks like that this is really
an upstream issue.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Flatpak runtime extensions are not installed when using GNOME Software
  on Ubuntu

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  When installing a Flatpak application that depends on some runtimes
  and they depend on some additional runtime extensions using GNOME
  Software on Ubuntu 18.04, the runtime extensions are not installed.
  They are installed if you run "flatpak update" from Terminal after the
  installation. This issue should be already fixed in GNOME Software
  upstream so I believe that this is a downstream Ubuntu issue. Please,
  fix this.

  Steps to Reproduce:
  1. Use the latest, fully updated Ubuntu 18.04 image.
  2. Install "flatpak" and "gnome-software-plugin-flatpak" packages.
  3. Restart the system.
  4. Download and add the Flathub repo file:
https://dl.flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
  5. Search and install the "GNOME Web" Flatpak package using GNOME Software.
  6. Run the installed "Web" application.

  Actual results:
  GNOME Web is started with the default (Adwaita) theme (and without the
correct locale if you use non-English system).

  Expected results:
  GNOME Web is started with the correct (Ubuntu) theme (and with the correct
locale if you use non-English system).