I just installed the 18.04 daily and formatted a fresh partition (no
prior home directory or any existing data used) and this is still an
issue in 4.15.0-12-generic.

Can I run a command to manually turn on this jack at startup or force it
to recheck that input to see if something is plugged in?

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  Intel HDA Audio doesn't work

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  I get no sound on most boots.  In Sound settings the default Output device is
HDMI / DisplayPort -
   Built-in Audio and there is no option to select anything else.  If I unplug
my line out and plug it in again it shows up in the list, automatically sets
itself as default and sound works fine. In Windows 10 this unplug and replug is
not required (the jack is fine).

  Running:
   $ amixer -c0 contents
  so I can compare the non working state with the working state, the following
differences exist:

  Non Working:
  numid=43,iface=CARD,name='Line Out Front Jack'
    ; type=BOOLEAN,access=r-------,values=1
    : values=off
  numid=35,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Switch'
    ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1
    : values=on