In fact, Linux kernel 4.14.0-041400rc7 caused Xorg to crash :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-
nouveau/+bug/1732574

With Linux kernel 4.16.0-041600rc5 from http://kernel.ubuntu.com
/~kernel-ppa/mainline and kernel option 'acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows
2009"', XORG seems to work correctly :

$ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x66 cap: 0x9, Source Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 4
associated providers: 1 name:modesetting
Provider 1: id: 0x3f cap: 0x4, Source Offload crtcs: 0 outputs: 0 associated
providers: 1 name:nouveau

Therefore, this issue seems to be solved.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  10de:1c8c [MSI] Module nouveau seems to MISS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
  Mobile

Status in xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package in Ubuntu:

  I have a laptop computer with hybrid graphics :  'Intel Onboard IGD'
  and 'Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile'.

  The 'Intel Onboard IGD' correctly manages the onboard monitor with
  resolution 1920 x 1080.

  But I need the Nvidia card to manage an external monitor with
  resolution 4K2K connected to DisplayPort.

  At the beginning, the 'nouveau' module of the Linux kernel seems to be
correctly loaded :
  $ lsmod  |  grep  '^nouveau'
  nouveau              1601536  0

  But XORG does NOT load its 'nouveau' module.  So, I force it with following
file :
  $ cat  /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-module-nouveau.conf
  Section "Module"
      Load           "nouveau"
  EndSection

  In the attached 'Xorg-with-nouveau.0.log' file, you can see :

  -  Lines 58-59 :    XORG correctly finds both Intel and Nvidia
  graphics hardware.

  -  Lines 61-66 :    XORG loads its 'nouveau' module.

  -  Lines 94-108 :   The list of the Nvidia chipsets known by the
  'nouveau' module does NOT contain 'GTX 1050'.  Is this meaningful ?

  -  Line  123 :      Message ending with 'cannot open kernel arbiter, no
multi-card support'.
                      Is  this meaningful ?  If yes, is it possible to activate
the 'kernel arbiter' ?

  -  Lines 124-226 :  The 'modesetting' module of XORG (perhaps with the
  help of the 'glamoregl' submodule) correctly reports the 4 available
  graphics outputs, in particular 'eDP-1' connected to the onboard
  monitor.

  -  Lines 233-234 :  XORG unloads its 'nouveau' module, which has NOT
  reported any graphics hardware or outputs

  If necessary, I am able to test :
  -  the latest version of the 'xserver-xorg-video-nouveau' package from a PPA
  -  the latest upstream kernel from
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline

  Finally, I wonder where this issue has to be solved :

  -  inside configuration files in '/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d',

  -  inside the 'xserver-xorg-video-nouveau' package,

  -  inside the 'nouveau' module of the Linux kernel,

  -  inside the 'kernel arbiter'.

  Thank you in advance for your help.

  Package: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.14-0ubuntu1
  CurrentDesktop: X-Cinnamon