Thank you very much for your help.

Somehow you have changed this to Invalid. While I can see that this is
"just" a problem with permission, I don't think that the program should
crash if it doesnt have permission (for whatever buggy reason). The
program should detect that and give a meaningful error message to the
user and not just crash.

I have reverted your edit of changing the status to Invalid due to these
reasons.

** Changed in: language-selector (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to language-selector in Ubuntu.

  language selecter crashing when trying to change language region
  german-german to german-switzerland

Status in language-selector package in Ubuntu:

  language selecter crashing when trying to change language region
  german-german to german-switzerland

  Package: language-selector-gnome 0.165.4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-37.42~16.04.1-generic 4.13.13
  Uname: Linux 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.15
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Thu Mar 22 20:27:05 2018
  ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/gnome-language-selector
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20170801)
  InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python3.5
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron: