I've found the answer to this and created a new question.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1018580/

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-screensaver in Ubuntu.

  Screen unlocking without password

Status in gnome-screensaver package in Ubuntu:

  My screen is unlocking without a password after being locked for an
  unknown time period, like a lunch break or overnight.  It is not
  hibernating or suspending, just locked.  If I lock it and immediately
  unlock it forces me to use password as it should, otherwise about 40%
  of the time it just unlocks to my full session as I left it before
  locking.  I lock by physically clicking the lock icon in the top right
  of the screen.  I've not tested by just walking away and waiting.

  I originally posted here
  https://askubuntu.com/questions/1012420/ubuntu-17-10-major-security-
  issue-at-login?noredirect=1#comment1641885_1012420 if that helps.

  Let me know other info you need to help find a fix.  This is a major
  security issue for me at my location.

  Package: gnome-screensaver 3.6.1-7ubuntu6
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Mar  7 15:16:15 2018
  GnomeSessionIdleInhibited: No
  GnomeSessionInhibitors: None
  GsettingsGnomeSession:
   org.gnome.desktop.session session-name 'ubuntu'
   org.gnome.desktop.session idle-delay uint32 300
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" - Release amd64 (20180105.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>