** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  Drag-and-drop to desktop not possible without copying the file under
  wayland

Status in Nautilus:
  Expired
Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  since my upgrade to Ubuntu Desktop 17.10 all files moved with drag-
  and-drop from any folder to my desktop are copied but not moved.

  Using strg+x and strg+v works. When i open the desktop as a folder
  usual drag-and-drop from different folders do work without copying the
  files.

  This is wayland related. Ubuntu Desktop 17.10 with Xorg performs like
  before and allows normal drag-and-drop from folders to the desktop.

  (I reported the issue before at https://askubuntu.com/questions/972533/)