Thanks. I did not, but I see now that I should as I missed the message
under the password strength-meter.

It works as expected (user error), but maybe it could be made a little more
obvious if the minimal requirements are not met by either:
#1 Don't let the user reenter the password in the confirm-field or
#2 Don't confirm that the two passwords are matching (the checkmark shown in
the confirm-field)

  Adding a user with a preset password do not work

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  Reproduce:
  - Open Settings > Details > Users
  - Click "Unlock" and authenticate
  - Click "Add User"
  - Enter a name/username
  - Select the checkbox "Set a password now" and enter a password

  Observe that the Add-button is now "greyed" out and cannot be clicked.