There was a long IRC discussion about this issue yesterday:

https://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2018/03/28/%23ubuntu-devel.html#t12:21

I proved to be wrong about what has been causing the import failures:
It's not the msgstr[2] entries, but the missing %d in the msgstr[0]
entries.

However, the latest gettext version allows such missing %d, while the
xenial gettext version does not, and that has been preventing these
strings from being imported.

The plan is to upgrade the xenial gettext version in LP and with that
solve the problem for both gnome-shell and other affected packages.
Hopefully that can be done in due time and proved to work. If not, we
also identified a possible workaround which would require certain
modifications of the .pot files in all affected packages.

Assigning myself to the Ubuntu Translations bug task for now to more
easily monitor the progress.

** Summary changed:

- LP does not understand msgstr[2] entries in PO files
+ LP refuses to import plural strings where e.g. msgstr[0] entries in PO file
miss %d

** Changed in: ubuntu-translations

** Changed in: ubuntu-translations

** Changed in: ubuntu-translations
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj)

  LP refuses to import plural strings where e.g. msgstr[0] entries in PO
  file miss %d

Status in Launchpad itself:
  Incomplete
Status in Ubuntu Translations:
  In Progress

  Some strings of GNOME Shell are untranslated in the Czech translation
  on Ubuntu 18.04 although they are translated upstream and when I try
  to manually translate them on launchpad, I get this error: "number of
  format specifications in 'msgid_plural' and 'msgstr[0]' does not
  match".

  The bad strings are:
  %d minute ago
  %d minutes ago

  %d hour ago
  %d hours ago

  %d week ago
  %d weeks ago

  %d month ago
  %d months ago

  %d year ago
  %d years ago

  They seem to be correct, but they are not accepted for some reason.