dino99: I ran deborphan and bleachbit. Nothing major there.

The most recent change to this system was the setup of XFCE and XRDP for
remote login. If I restart the machine, I can launch the GNOME apps like
normal. To replicate the issue, I first have to remote login to XFCE (do
something, then log out). Then I physically go to the PC and try to use
a GNOME app in the GNOME DE. The XFCE and GNOME sessions use the same
username. So it appears the GNOME apps may be getting confused as to
which DE to use. But why just the GNOME apps and not everything else?

In order to set up the remote desktop, I modified the .xsession file to
be this:

#!/bin/bash
xfce4-session

This allows me to log in as the same user on the local and remote
sessions. Perhaps this is a bad practice, but it allows me to use my
tower PC (in the basement) on my laptop (upstairs). Perhaps this would
all work better if I set up a separate user (e.g., in the original
username group to access the same files) for remote access instead of
using the same username.

Still, I imagine if I log out of GNOME, log in remotely with XFCE, log
out of XFCE, then log in to GNOME, the issue may still persist. I will
try that now.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  Can't open gnome terminal

Status in gnome-terminal package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Selecting gnome terminal after search(winkey->type "term"->select
  Terminal), results in loading terminal for a few seconds and simply
  disappearing of the loading indication from the title bar.

  Nothing else happens. No error and no terminal shown.

  This behavior appeared after upgrade to 17.04
  I don't have such a problem when opening MATE Terminal.
  Also when I run "gnome-terminal" in the mate terminal it outputs this:
  "Error constructing proxy for
org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling
StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: Timeout was reached"

  >> lsb_release -rd

  Release:      17.04

  >> apt-cache policy gnome-terminal

  gnome-terminal:
    Installed: 3.20.2-1ubuntu8
    Candidate: 3.20.2-1ubuntu8
    Version table:
   *** 3.20.2-1ubuntu8 500
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Package: gnome-terminal 3.20.2-1ubuntu8
  ApportVersion: 2.20.4-0ubuntu4.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Tue May 30 17:15:09 2017
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-GNOME 15.04 "Vivid Vervet" - Release amd64
(20150422)
  SourcePackage: gnome-terminal
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to zesty on 2017-04-17 (42 days ago)