Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. I don't quite the difference at the
moment, as the output appears to be the same, and ghostscript was
previously the culprit, but I believe you :) I'll leave this issue alone
then.

Packages, which is subscribed to ghostscript in Ubuntu.

  broken ghostscript with 9.18~dfsg~0-0ubuntu2.3 to
  9.18~dfsg~0-0ubuntu2.4 update

Status in GS-GPL:
  Unknown
Status in ghostscript package in Ubuntu:

  After the last ghostscript udpate I have problems with the textext
  inkscape plugin that uses pstoedit that uses ghostscript.

  The command looks like this:

  pstoedit -f plot-svg tmp.pdf tmp.svg -dt -ssp -psarg -r9600x9600 -pta

  The error (short version):

  Error: /invalidaccess in --run--
  Current allocation mode is global
  Last OS error: No such file or directory
  Current file position is 87896
  GPL Ghostscript 9.18: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
  PostScript/PDF Interpreter finished. Return status 256 executed command :
/usr/bin/gs -q -dDELAYBIND -dWRITESYSTEMDICT -dNODISPLAY -dNOEPS -r9600x9600
"/tmp/psinsRrD8m"
  The interpreter seems to have failed, cannot proceed !

  See the attached log for the full text.

  I tried to downgrade to circumvent the issue but unsuccessfully.