Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu
better. We are sorry that we do not always have the capacity to look at all
reported bugs in a timely manner. There have been many changes in Ubuntu since
that time you reported the bug and your problem may have been fixed with some
of the updates. It would help us a lot if you could test it on a currently
supported Ubuntu version. If you test it and it is still an issue, kindly
upload the updated logs by running only once:
apport-collect https://api.launchpad.net/1.0/bugs/1066284

and any other logs that are relevant for this particular issue.

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: ubiquity (Ubuntu)

  Add keyboard layout button disabled in default live session

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in ubiquity package in Ubuntu:

  When booting the quantal iso testing images and selecting Try Ubuntu
  without changing the language or keyboard layout, it is impossible to
  add keyboard layouts. In system settings -> keyboard layout there are
  only four English layouts listed and the + button that should add a
  layout is grayed out.

  When selecting a non-English layout by pressing F3 during boot the
  button is usable.