Public bug reported:

Testing the 6.0.2-0ubuntu1 release of LibreOffice included with the beta
of Ubuntu 18.04 (daily image of April 7th), I find that LO Writer 6
cannot create borderless tables by default.

Previously, one could get the desired result by simply unchecking the
"border" boxes under the "tables" nodes of Tools > Options > LO Writer
and of Tools > Options > LO Writer/Web.

Unfortunately, that does not seem to work for LO 6. Tables get created
with borders even so. More annoyingly, after I remove them manually,
they pop up again as soon as I make any edits to the table (e.g. insert
or delete a line or make any edits to the numbering).

The PPA versions of LO 6 available for 17.10 appeared to be suffering
from the same problem. But then it was easy to revert to the officially
supported LO 5.

As 18.04 is to be an LTS release and LO 6 looks like the official
version, I do hope to see the table bug solved sooner than later.

** Affects: libreoffice (Ubuntu)

  libreoffice-writer 6.0.2: no default borderless tables

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu: