I observed this bug in Ubuntu 16.04 with GNOME Disks 3.18.3, trying to
format a FAT32 partition on a USB drive.

However, instead of giving an error message, Disks crashed completely.
As soon as I entered a volume label of 11 characters or less, the format
succeeded.

** Changed in: gnome-disk-utility (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-disk-utility in Ubuntu.

  SD format operation crashes if volume label is more than 11 characters
  long

Status in gnome-disk-utility package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome-disk-utility

  I did a format on a 2GB SD card by right clicking on the SD card icon
  and selecting format, under FAT windows/linux compatible file system
  settings.  It then asks you what you'd like the volume label to be -
  if you type in anything over 11 characters, the process then errors
  out - but with an error message which does not hint to the user that
  the real problem is their length volume label.

  A good fix may be to limit the label max length on the input field, or
  to give a more helpful error message.

  Package: gnome-disk-utility 2.30.1-2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.35-generic 2.6.35.4