@herrtimson from my tests that patch does not resolve the strd r2, r3,
[r1] crash on Xenial. However, I do believe it's entirely possible that
it indirectly fixed the issue with your gcc-7 toolchain. I'm starting to
wonder if this crash does not have a single cause but rather is a
codepath that Firefox goes down if there is one of many possible
failures in startup.

In addition to the Bionic build above, this weekend I got a Raspbian
Stretch build working:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdqwuda5eaw0cks/firefox_59.0.2%2Bbuild1
-stretch-rpi2_armhf.deb?dl=0 with some overview on the forums:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=150438

I used Bionic sources (deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/
bionic main restricted) in a Stretch container (gcc-6). Initially it
crashed on the same strd, so I tried switching to clang and then
encountered the same "undefined reference to `free'" errors you guys had
mentioned. These come about mainly due it not being supported to call
free() before declaration in C99, so then the fix was to add #include
<stdlib.h> in a couple places.

I don't think I'll attempt another Xenial or Trusty build anytime soon.
I'd like to get some fixes documented and patches submitted upstream so
that others can start building Firefox armhf across more platforms.
Anyone can still run the 18.04 binary I linked earlier on 16.04 (and
possibly 14.04) using the LD_PRELOAD trick.

As for how Arch Linux has been working, I've confirmed it's due to
--disable-stylo (mentioned a while ago on the Raspberry Pi forum
thread). If I add that flag (while leaving SK_JUMPER_USE_ASSEMBLY
intact) then Firefox runs. For some reason the Stylo flag does not get
listed in about:buildconfig but it's a very different build path when
MOZ_STYLO is disabled, and Stylo is still disabled for Android nightly
too.

  Firefox crashes at start on armv7L after 55.0.1 update

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Expired
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  Firefox always crashes when launched after the 55.0.1 update on an
  Orange Pi PC Plus (a single-board computer similar to a Raspberry Pi),
  even in safe mode.

  I did a fresh install of Armbian (a Ubuntu Xenial 16.04 re-spin for
  ARM single-board computer) on a similar board (Orange Pi Plus 2e),
  installed Firefox and experienced the same problem--it won't load
  without crashing.

  Package: firefox 55.0.1+build2-0ubuntu0.16.04.2
  Uname: Linux 3.4.113-sun8i armv7l
  AddonCompatCheckDisabled: False
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.25.
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.10
  Architecture: armhf
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  jim        1138 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  jim        1138 F.... pulseaudio
  BuildID: 20170814194718
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'audiocodec'/'audiocodec'
     Mixer name : ''
     Components : ''
     Controls      : 12
     Simple ctrls  : 12
  Card1.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:1 'sndhdmi'/'sndhdmi'
     Mixer name : ''
     Components : ''
     Controls      : 1
     Simple ctrls  : 1
  Card1.Amixer.values:
   Simple mixer control 'hdmi audio format Function',0
     Capabilities: enum
     Items: 'null' 'pcm' 'AC3' 'MPEG1' 'MP3' 'MPEG2' 'AAC' 'DTS' 'ATRAC'
'ONE_BIT_AUDIO' 'DOLBY_DIGITAL_PLUS' 'DTS_HD' 'MAT' 'WMAPRO'
     Item0: 'pcm'
  Channel: Unavailable
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Thu Aug 17 05:37:00 2017
  Extensions: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  ForcedLayersAccel: False
  IncompatibleExtensions: Unavailable (corrupt or non-existant
compatibility.ini or extensions.sqlite)
  IpRoute:
   default via 192.168.10.1 dev eth0
   default via 192.168.10.1 dev wlan0  proto static  metric 600
   169.254.0.0/16 dev eth0  scope link  metric 1000
   192.168.10.0/24 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.10.107
   192.168.10.0/24 dev wlan0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.10.108
metric 600
  Locales: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  PciMultimedia:

  PciNetwork:

  Profiles: Profile0 (Default) - LastVersion=55.0.1/20170814194718
  RfKill:
   0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
  RunningIncompatibleAddons: False
  SourcePackage: firefox
  Themes: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing