Seems that Ghostscript has deprecated DELAYBIND. I really do not know
what DELAYBIND is good for in Ghostscript and AFAIK it is not used in
packages which I maintain upstream, for example cups-filters.

pstotext is not part of cups-filters nor an OpenPrinting project. It
seems to be a free software project on its own.

I consider this a bug in pstotext as the maintainer of pstotext has to
update his software to work with newer versions of Ghostscript.

I will not distro-patch the deprecated DELAYBIND feature back into
Ghostscript. Closing Ghostscript task.

** Changed in: ghostscript (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to ghostscript in Ubuntu.

  ghostscript 9.22 breaks pstotext: Unrecoverable error: undefined in
  DELAYBIND

Status in ghostscript package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in pstotext package in Ubuntu:

  I noticed after my poppler upload that the "doc-rfc" tests are failing

https://objectstorage.prodstack4-5.canonical.com/v1/AUTH_77e2ada1e7a84929a74ba3b87153c0ac
  /autopkgtest-bionic/bionic/amd64/d/doc-
  rfc/20180410_090135_46f84@/log.gz

  These tests basically zcat a ps.gz file to pstotext. It's this that is
  broken. See:

  laney@nightingale> echo "" | pstotext -debug
  GPL Ghostscript 9.22 (2017-10-04)
  Copyright (C) 2017 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
  This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.

   *** WARNING - the DELAYBIND command has been deprecated, and will be
                 removed in the next version. For now you can restore
                 the behaviour by using -dREALLYDEALYBIND but if you
                 require continued use of this command you should contact
                 the Ghostscript developers. Commercial customers of
                 Artifex should email their support contact, free users
                 are encouraged to talk to us on the #ghostscript IRC
                 channel on irc.freenode.net.

  Unrecoverable error: undefined in DELAYBIND
  laney@nightingale> echo $?
  3

  but downgrading ghostscript libgs9 libgs9-common to the previous
  version 9.21~dfsg+1-0ubuntu3 fixes it:

  laney@nightingale> echo "" | pstotext -debug
  GPL Ghostscript 9.21 (2017-03-16)
  Copyright (C) 2017 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
  This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
  QI 100 0 0 -100 0 84200
  laney@nightingale> echo $?
  0