I have the same problem too I have ubuntu 16.04 on a duo boot with Windows 8.
Updated my ubuntu on 13/04/18 and now am no longer able to connect to my
phone's hotspot which would connect automatically before.
Anytime it tries to connect it keeps asking for the password.
Please help.

** Attachment added: "this is what I tried in the terminal but it gives same
results no WiFi connection"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/1576215/+attachment/5114713/+files/IMG_20180414_034755.jpg

  Network Manager regularly thinks my wifi is a wired device

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  When I boot up my network doesn't automatically connect.  I instead
  see when I click the network manager applet that it's got no Wifi
  devices listed.  It thinks my wireless card is an ethernet device.
  This isn't true and I have no ethernet devices in my system.

  When this situation happens if I issue /etc/init.d/network-manager
  restart it comes back up thinking it's a wireless device and happily
  associates with my saved SSID.

  Package: network-manager 1.1.93-0ubuntu4
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Thu Apr 28 09:03:13 2016
  DistributionChannelDescriptor:
   # This is a distribution channel descriptor
   # For more information see
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributionChannelDescriptor
   canonical-oem-somerville-xenial-amd64-20160406-0
  IfupdownConfig:
   # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 "Xenial" - Build amd64 LIVE Binary
20160406-07:32
  IpRoute:

  NetworkManager.state:
   [main]
   NetworkingEnabled=true
   WirelessEnabled=true
   WWANEnabled=true
   WimaxEnabled=true
  SourcePackage: network-manager
  nmcli-dev:
   DEVICE   TYPE      STATE                                  DBUS-PATH
                        CONNECTION          CON-UUID
  CON-PATH
   wlp58s0  ethernet  connecting (getting IP configuration)
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1  Wired connection 1
1c8c4cab-09d7-4a42-bfc4-aed14caf6a46
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/1
   lo       loopback  unmanaged
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0  --                  --
                     --
  nmcli-nm: Error: command ['nmcli', '-f', 'all', 'nm'] failed with exit code
2: Error: Object 'nm' is unknown, try 'nmcli help'.