** Changed in: gvfs

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  Incorrect mount/umount/REMOVE behavior of USB drive

Status in gvfs:
  Expired
Status in gvfs package in Ubuntu:

  Host: Karmic, fully updated at time of posting.

    1) When I insert an external USB drive, Karmic is automatically
  mounting all of the partitions.  This is NOT what I want, but please
  don't focus on this one issue.  Item #2 is arguably worse.

    2) If I open Computer and right click a mounted partition, I can
  unmount the volume.  However, if I click the symbol next to the
  mounted volume, all of the partitions are unmounted, AND THE DRIVE IS
  REMOVED.

  So after connecting the drive via USB, and checking mounts, I see:

  /dev/sdb1 on /media/GRUB type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit)
  /dev/sdb5 on /media/Fedora 10 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit)
  /dev/sdb6 on /media/Ubuntu 8.04.2 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit)
  /dev/sdb7 on /media/Ubuntu 8.10 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit)
  /dev/sdb8 on /media/Ubuntu 9.10 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit)
  /dev/sdb10 on /media/SHARED type xfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit)

  and after clicking the symbol, which USED to simply unmount
  undesirably mounted volumes, the entire drive is removed, e.g., there
  are no more entries under /dev for the drive.  udev log file attached.

  A few more notes:

    A) the mounting behavior is inconsistent.  During testing to prepare
  the data for this report, I connected and disconnected the drive
  multiple times.  Each time a different set of partitions was mounted.

    B) When I connect the same drive using eSATA instead of USB, I am
  prompted that authentication is required to mount volumes, whereas
  this is not required when the same drive is connected over USB.

    C) The unmount versus remove behavior appears to be USB specific.
  If I use eSATA, the behavior is to simply unmount the partition, as
  expected.  I also have an SDHC card in the built-in reader.  It, too,
  is auto-mounted, but unlike the USB drive, clicking the icon next to
  the mounted volume only unmounts the volume.

  Unclear to me how much of this is nautilus, how much is DevceKit,
  etc., but I'll leave that for others to reassign.  I suspect that
  DeviceKit is to blame for at least some of the behavior, but want to
  focus on this newly introduced defect that removes the drive instead
  of unmounting the partition.