>From Files 3.28 onwards (3.28 is the latest upstream version and 3.30
will presumably be used in Ubuntu 18.10), desktop icons are handled by a
GNOME extension and not by Files. I have thus filed this bug against the
GNOME Extension, it is up to Ubuntu developers, not upstream, to fix the
bug (if they feel the behavior is not intended) in Files 3.26 and
earlier on earlier Ubuntu releases. They may want to wait first to see
what how GNOME treats the issue with the Extension, though :)

https://gitlab.gnome.org/csoriano/org.gnome.desktop-icons/issues/5

  Desktop icons zoom automatically if folder icons are zoomed

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  This is new to Ubuntu 16.10 (I have not experienced this earlier
  including in 16.04).

  I have set nautilus to show desktop icons (network, home)

  I open the home folder (it could be any file folder) and zoom in so
  that the icon size increases. Then I do show desktop and the desktop
  icons have zoomed as well!!

  THen I go to the home folder and zoom out. Desktop icons zoom out as
  well.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.20.3-1ubuntu3.1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8.2
  Architecture: amd64