I have an installation of Xenial (16.04 LTS) which doesn't have this bug
(gnome-disk-utility version 3.18). After upgrading to 18.04 (gnome disk
version 3.28) I start seeing this bug. It's not a showstopper as I know
my way through the command line, but still, I spend 60% of my time on
macOS and having a common task such as LUKS + ext4 done through a
graphical interface is much appreciated

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-disk-utility in Ubuntu.

  Error Formatting luks device

Status in gnome-disk-utility package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in meta-gnome3 package in Ubuntu:

  Application Gnome Disks

  When trying to format an encrypted drive I get this error:

  Error formatting volume

  Error creating the luks device:The function
  'bd_crypto_luks_format_blob' called, but not implemented! (udisks-
  error-quark,0)

  Release:      18.04

  2. GNOME Disks 3.28.0-1ubuntu1

  3. LUKS formatting disk should work

  4. error message when opting for password protect volume (LUKS)
  utilizing format volume

  Package: gnome (not installed)
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Apr  7 09:46:19 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha amd64 (20180311)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>