I think I finally understand how the whole default-keyboard
configuration is done in ubiquity and console-setup. The reason why it's
busted is indeed the keyboard-configuration/xkb-keymap debconf variable.
The reason everything worked up until artful was that before artful we
have been reverting the xkb-keymap pieces from keyboard-
configuration.config because of ubiquity (mostly), and this change was
dropped with the artful console-setup merge with Debian. I'm trying to
ask around if that was intentional or not. If it was, then we need to
handle setting of xkb-keymap after performing language selection
(possibly in ubiquity). If not, then we'd have to remove it - or at
least the pieces where xkb-keymap is overriding all locale/country-based
default keyboard layout selection in console-setup.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  ubiquity doesn't preselect the right default keyboard layout

Status in console-setup package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in ubiquity package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in console-setup source package in Bionic:
  In Progress
Status in gnome-settings-daemon source package in Bionic:
  Invalid
Status in ubiquity source package in Bionic:

  In Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver, daily builds of
  March 25, the right default keymap isn't preselected when you select
  "Nederlands" (i.e. Dutch) as language for the installation.

  It's now "English, US" but should be:
  "English (US) - English (US, intl., with dead keys)".

  Or, in other words, it should be:
  XKBLAYOUT="us"
  XKBVARIANT="intl"

  (additional remark in order to prevent any misunderstandings: the
  original Dutch keyboard (nl) has completely disappeared long ago, so
  all keyboards sold in the Netherlands have US keyboards which need the
  "intl" xkbvariant with dead keys, in order to be able to type accents)

  This is a regression, at least compared with Ubuntu 16.04 and earlier
  (I don't know about 16.10, 17.04 and 17.10).