Dear Sean!

I did installation as your wrote in comment 14.
I started with latest mini.iso from
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/
 .
Then selected *Xubuntu desktop* in tasksel. Here I got exactly the same result
as your wrote. So no problem here. Such system has 1584 packages.

---

But if install only base system from mini.iso and then run `sudo apt-get
install xubuntu-desktop` I get a lot stuff (including `gnome-control-center`) -
so it is bad variant.
So there is something wrong with handling of `APT::Install-Recommends` and/or
`APT::Install-Suggests` in APT regarding `xubuntu-desktop` meta-package.

  gnome-control-center is unusable on xubuntu-desktop, but called from
  Gear (About this Computer, System Settings) icon, Text Entry Settings,
  clock (Time & Date Settings)

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in indicator-datetime package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in xubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu:

  Steps to reproduce:
  1. Install `xubuntu-desktop` meta package on 18.04 LTS
  2. Login to session
  3a. Click on clock indicator on panel, select "Time & Date Settings"
  3b. Click on Gear, select "About this Computer" or "System Settings"
  3c. Click on keyboard layout indicator, select "Text Entry Settings"

  Expected results:
  xfce-oriented control center is opened

  Actual results:
  gnome-control-center is opened, but with empty window.

  Package: xubuntu-desktop 2.223
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE