@Felipe:

(1) may I suggest you to find the correct upstream bugs and update the
link here? Or open upstream bugs as needed;

(2) may I also suggest you to carry your reasoning upstream?

(3) which bug is it you state is closed?

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  Does not use system proxy settings

Status in Chat app, and Telepathy user interface:
  Invalid
Status in Jabber/XMPP connection manager:
  Confirmed
Status in Telepathy Haze:
  Confirmed
Status in A full-featured IRC connection manager for telepathy.:
  Confirmed
Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “empathy” source package in Lucid:
  Invalid
Status in “empathy” package in Unity Linux:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: empathy

  Empathy wont connect to any major service trough a proxy. I've tried Google
Talk, Jabber, MSN and Yahoo.
  I set the proxy preferences in GNOME, it's a plain proxy for all protocols,
without authentication.

  Pidgin works normally in the same setup.

  Ubuntu 8.10, Empathy 2.24.1