I'm experiencing the same problem with Ubuntu 18.04 release.
I tried to disable the wodim plugin but the check box is checked and gray.
I tried setting the USID bit in
/usr/share/bash-completion/conpletions/wodin but the brasero crash still
occurred.
Tested on two different computers.  Same symptoms.

Packages, which is subscribed to brasero in Ubuntu.

  Brasero can't burn DVD because of permissions issue

Status in brasero package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  When trying to burn a data project with Brasero it exits with "unknown
  error". In the log file it says the following:

  BraseroWodim stderr: wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise
RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.
  BraseroWodim called brasero_job_get_flags
  BraseroWodim stderr: wodim: Resource temporarily unavailable. Cannot get mmap
for 16781312 Bytes on /dev/zero.
  BraseroWodim called brasero_job_get_flags
  BraseroWodim stdout: TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
  BraseroWodim stderr: HUP
  BraseroWodim stdout: HUP
  BraseroWodim process finished with status 11
  BraseroWodim called brasero_job_error
  BraseroWodim finished with an error
  BraseroWodim asked to stop because of an error
        error           = 0
        message = "no message"
  BraseroWodim stopping
  Session error : unknown (brasero_burn_record brasero-burn.c:2859)

  Current user is a member of the cdrom group.

  As a workaround I set setuid bit on /usr/bin/wodim, after that Brasero
  was able to burn the DVD.

  sudo chmod +s $(which wodim)

  As far as I remember DVD burning used to work on Ubuntu 17.10.

  Package: brasero 3.12.1-4ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME