You should read the changelog.

nvidia-prime doesn't use bbswitch anymore, I don't know why. The
changelog doesn't say.

It now uses the built-in kernel mechanism for turning off the nvidia card.
Unfortunately, this method requires the nouveau driver and unfortunately you
can't load the nouveau driver and the nvidia driver at the same time. Also,
unfortunately the nvidia driver can't be unloaded without a reboot, due to a
bug in logind, or at least without restarting logind.
Somehow, this also means that the nvidia driver needs to be actually
uninstalled, which means rebuilding initramfs to uninstall nvidia.  And going
back to nvidia (hybrid mode) now requires the nvidia driver to be reinstalled.
It's a far cry from the old way.

It's a bit of puzzle because bbswitch still works in the latest kernel and with
the latest nvidia. But prime select is pretty complex, I haven't found another
distribution where it has been ported, so there are probably good reasons for
this. The dev says this approach is needed to work around gdm3 bugs, which I
find ironic since I have never got gdm3 working with my nvidia laptops anyway
(I use modeset=1 with the nvidia driver).

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-prime in Ubuntu.

  nvidia-prime needs a reboot to switch between dGPU/hGPU

Status in nvidia-prime package in Ubuntu:

  I previously used Ubuntu 16.04 and Nvidia 375 driver with a Nvidia
  Geforce 635M and Sandy Bridge i7. To switch between the 2 Optimus
  cards (Intel hybrid and Nvidia discrete), one had to go into nvidia-
  settings, switch, logoff, login back, and the change was applied.

  I now have a Nvidia Quadro M2000 and a Skylake Xeon which has some
  Sync/Mux feature (whatever does that mean) with the Nvidia 390 driver.
  First of all, installing nivida-prime doesn't install bbswitch-dkms.
  Then, once the GPU switch is made, it triggers update-initramfs,
  recompile the kernel modules, and one needs to reboot the system to
  get the GPU change. Even when we install bbswitch-dkms.

  So am I getting a wrong impression or is there something twisted here
  ?

  Package: nvidia-prime 0.8.7
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Thu Apr 19 19:20:01 2018
  Dependencies:

  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha amd64 (20180408)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: nvidia-prime