I can confirm the same issue on 18.04 using Gigabyte AERO 15x v8 with
Nvidia GTX 1070 MaxQ. The `prime-select intel` method leaves the card
powered on, even though the vgaswitcheroo/switch indicates it's off -
the system power draw is ~ 20W.

After installing bbswitch and turning the card off that way (had to mask
off the nvidia-fallback to prevent manual loading of the nouveau
module), the power draw drops to ~ 10W so the card is indeed powered off
in that case.

There is something broken in nouveau driver for my system as it is
unable to power down the card using the vgaswitcheroo method, when
running with nouveau.runpm=0.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-prime in Ubuntu.

  prime-select intel is not powering off the nvidia card

Status in nvidia-prime package in Ubuntu:

  Right now, it seems that prime-select intel makes sure the nvidia driver is
not loaded, as nvidia-settings reports.
  But my power consumption is > 20W.
  cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch reports the card is still on.

  If bbswitch and powertop are reliable, then the nvidia card is still powered.
  This is a thinkpad w520 in Optimus mode.

  Package: nvidia-prime 0.8.7
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME