Filed upstream at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/416

  Nautilus does not focus search bar upon typing if search bar already
  is visible

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  (Nautilus 3.26.3 on Ubuntu 18.04, but bug has been present as long as
  the new search box has existed to my knowledge)

  If you start typing in nautilus, so long as no text field anywhere is
  focused, the search box will appear and get focus, so you end up
  typing into it. However, if the search box is already visible but does
  not have focus (for example, by tapping ctrl-f and then clicking
  outside the search box), then typing does not re-focus the search box.

  This is jarring since you can be looking at a normal view of a folder
  (not at search results), and out of habit expect that you can start
  typing to search. Even if you tap ctrl-f, this makes an empty search
  box *vanish*, so you have to tap ctrl-f *twice* to get it focused (or
  click on it of course)

  Solutions include:

  * Make an empty search box always vanish upon losing focus
  * Make an empty search box, if still visible, gain focus again if the user
starts typing.

  The first solution is probably cleanest since there is no use case I
  can think of for leaving an empty search box visible if the user is
  not about to type into it.