Filed upstream: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/421

  No Preference for "Show UP button"

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  I appreciate elegance, but I despise  not having an Up button in
  Ubuntu's current version of Nautilus.

  A file system is a hierarchy, and some times I just want an UP-button
  that I can repeat-click to climb that hierarchy all the way back  to
  root.

  Currently, Nautilus provides a fancy dancy button-representation of
  the hierarchy, where you can click the 2nd-to-right-most button to go
  UP a directory. But these buttons require more observation and mouse-
  movement versus repeat-clicking a good old UP button.

  Also, Nautilus currently offers a BACK button, but "back" doesn't
  always mean UP.

  Even if the developers have no intention of putting an UP button in
  the default Nautilus, I wished they'd at least provide people like me
  a custom preference to "Show UP button".

  Package: nautilus 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-27.40-generic 3.8.13.4
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-27-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.1
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Sat Aug 10 09:06:22 2013
  GsettingsChanges: b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'geometry'
b"'800x550+267+250'"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64 (20130424)
  MarkForUpload: True
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)