Thanks, I've now reported this at: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-
shell/issues/287

  Position of left-tiled windows not restored correctly when another
  left-tiled window present

Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  When another window is maximized or tiled to the left side of the
  screen, re-opening an application whose window was previously tiled to
  the left side does not restore that windows' previous position.
  Instead such windows open at varying distances from the dock, untiled.

  = Steps to reproduce *expected* behavior (with a newly created user) =

  1. open Firefox, drag the window to the left edge of the screen to tile it
there (filling up the left half of horizontal screen space)
  2. close Firefox
  3. open Nautilus, make sure that the window floats (i.e. is unmaximized and
not tiled to either side of screen)
  4. open Firefox

  == What happens ==
  As expected, Firefox's window is tiled to the left edge of screen,
immediately to the right side of the dock.

  = Steps to reproduce *unexpected* behavior (with a newly created user) =
  1. open Firefox, drag the window to the left edge of the screen to tile it
there (filling up the left half of horizontal screen space)
  2. close Firefox
  3. open Nautilus, *maximize its window*
  4. open Firefox

  == What happens ==
  Firefox's window opens slightly to the right off the right edge of the dock
(with a gap between the dock and the window).
  == What I expect to happen ==
  I expect Firefox's window to be tiled to the left edge of screen, immediately
to the right side of the dock, just as it did following the first recipe above.

  = Further information =
  Either maximizing or tiling Nautilus' window to the left edge of the screen
(at step #3) triggers the issue. Tiling it to the *right* edge of the screen
does not.

  Using Gnome Terminal instead of Nautilus triggers the issue just as
  well, I suspect any other application will though I've only
  systematically tested these two so far.

  From battling with this in my daily use I also know that the distance
  of incorrectly restored windows from the dock varies: different
  applications open at different distances. The precise mechanics of
  this still elude me, though the distances do appear to be multiples of
  25 pixels.

  Package: mutter 3.28.1-1ubuntu1
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Apr 29 16:32:37 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Server 16.04.1 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160719)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)