It's deceptive. Unless i'm very much mistaken (open invitation to anyone
wiser to step in here!), v 2.90.1 which comes bundled with ubuntu 11.10
IS v3. And the version before 2.90.1 aka 3 is v 0.##.##. This [bizarre
situation] is how i understand things based on researching today.

So Matt, if you fire up RB, play a track, quit, reopen, hopefully the
track's not playing. Assuming not, follow the steps to install the
rhythmbox remember (name is wrong, but it's similar) plugin, from the v3
list, then repeat the steps after selecting the plugin from the menu.
That *should* work. I can't vouch for the others.

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  3rd Party Plugins Ignored

Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu:

  For some reason, after upgrading to Oneiric, Rhythmbox no longer shows any
third party plugins. I have tried putting them in many locations. Both of these
plugins are ignored. Remuco is even in the Ubuntu repos and does not work.
  Rhythmweb/Rhythmote
  Remuco

  Package: rhythmbox 2.90.1~20110908-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64