** Changed in: totem

Packages, which is subscribed to totem in Ubuntu.

  Unhelpful response when inserting encrypted DVD in default
  installation

Status in Totem:
  Expired
Status in totem package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 4.10, 5.04, 5.10, 6.06, 7.04, 7.10, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10,
  10.04, 10.10, 11.04, 11.10, 12.04, 14.04

  1. Install Ubuntu.
  2. Insert a standard movie DVD.

  What happens:
  * In Ubuntu 10.10 and earlier, "An error occurred" - "Could not read from
resource."
  * In Ubuntu 11.10, "An error occurred" - "Could not read DVD. This may be
because the DVD is encrypted and a DVD decryption library is not installed."

  Without libdvdcss2, Totem, VLC, and others are unable to play my
  original DVD-s. I know it's illegal to ship Ubuntu with libdvdcss2,
  but it could be in multiverse repos, and totem's plugin installer
  could install it, OR add the medibuntu repo to the list (but leave
  unchecked), then Totem's plugin installer should give a hint, to use
  that repo's libdvdcss2 to play your DVDs. Newbies wont find out how to
  solve this problem by theirself, go back to win, and then it will be
  harder to solve the bug #1 :)

  Not to be confused with:
  * bug 502426, where DVDs don't play when libdvdcss is installed
  * bug 745515, "An error occured location not found" while trying to play a DVD
  * bug 747433, "Totem cannot play this type of media DVD because it does not
have the appropriate plugins to be able to read from this disc"