Ok this is getting nasty. The latest experience with this bug (Ubuntu
11.10) when trying to edit/save a textfile is a dialog popping up,
telling me that gedit is unable to save the file. If you decide to close
the editor for some reason now, the file is completely gone. You didn't
just loose your changes, you lost the complete text file. There might be
an invisible ~backup file around, but from a users point of view, the
file is gone.

Can we please make that bug critical?

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  gedit fails to save files over smbfs/cifs

Status in Light-Weight Text Editor for Gnome:
  Confirmed
Status in SambaServer:
  Invalid
Status in SSHFS Mounter:
  Confirmed
Status in “gedit” package in Ubuntu:

  Saving files over a cifs/smbfs server doesnt work.  You can open file,
  edit then save perfectly.  But repeated saves after give you this
  error:

  "The file /home/dhonn/website/arrays.php has been modified since
  reading it.  If you save it, all the external changes could be lost.
  Save it anyway?"

  The think is lying to me because I havent made any external changes.

  When I click "Save Anyway", i get this error:

  "Could not save the file /home/dhonn/website/arrays.php."

  But on the third try it works just fine.

  Here are the error messages, btw there are also GUI glitches too:
  http://dhonn.com/images/gedit-0.jpg
  http://dhonn.com/images/gedit-1.jpg